By Lauren Catanese
Ever feel like you are just running the bases in life? One thing after another, going from activity to yet another obligation that we have signed up for. It feels like it never stops and we have to just keep going and going, running and running. And when we finally get home we are drained, too tired to do anything else, like something we enjoy, perhaps a passion of ours. Maybe tomorrow will be different? We promise ourselves that tomorrow, we will do it differently. Then we wake up and yet another day goes by, and we’re caught up in the busyness of life, just running the bases. When we are churning through the motions, we can get disconnected to our truth. We find ourselves out of alignment, stalemated, comfortably numb. How can we find the passion again? How can we be present? It is easy to allow ourselves to stay stuck in this place, and to keep being distracted. Social media, maybe keeping ourselves busy so we don’t have time to address what we really want, or simply avoiding it all together hamper us. We can make this space of denial work, for a little while. Eventually the truth comes out. Sooner or later, we will have to face it. Life will send you an alarm, a wake-up call. Wake-up calls can seem scary, but they serve a purpose. They get us to live life, even with all the busyness, but to live it with passion. If we are going to have a busy schedule then we also need to find the joy in each moment. Feel the richness of life. Our moments of freedom and expansion do not only have to come in times when we pause to meditate or when we’re on vacation, because life is made up of all things! And if we can find and feel each moment as we are experiencing it; enjoy the pounding of our feet as they hit the ground rounding to second; then running the bases becomes just as exciting as sliding into home base. Don’t deny the miracle in every moment. Every breath is a gift.
Some tips on finding the passion as you run:
- Let go of expectations- recognize life for what it is and how things are running. Don’t get caught up in ideals of how our lives are supposed to look and enjoy where you are.
- Embrace it all- the running, the craziness, the pain, the love, they’re all a part of life and when we accept the moments we find ourselves in, we can be more present and simply enjoy the learning and growing process, without bringing us down.
- Gratitude- you hear this a lot because it’s true. Close your eyes and think of three things you are grateful for in that moment. It opens our hearts and puts a smile on our faces. It helps remember why we do what we do. There is purpose in all, and you are following your guidance more than you might think.
- Sprinkle a little bit of you as you run- listen to music that uplifts your soul on the way to work, sleep in for another 5 minutes, walk a little slower into the places we go, make a joke or be silly, treat yourself, the list is endless. And you know yourself the best, so let little parts of you shine no matter where you are or what you are doing.
- Remember who are- You are greatness, a divine being! You have purpose and meaning and your presence is needed in each situation where you find yourself. So don’t forget who is actually out there running the bases. Do it with passion, run wildly, and leave a trail of love.